I love this recipe for the great flavors and for the convenience of being able to make them in the morning and throwing them on the grill for dinner. My boys and husband love these. It is my oldest son’s favorite dinner. I usually make up extra of the breading and use some veal cutlets in this recipe too. I also double this recipe as they disappear so fast!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves or chicken cutlets
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3-4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Good quality mozzarella (not shredded or sliced)
- Fresh bay leaves or fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Melted butter
1. Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound until very thin. If you are using the cutlets, they do not need to be pounded.
2. Combine bread crumbs, cheese parsley, lemon zest and garlic
3. In another bowl combine even amounts of olive oil and butter
4. Dip chicken into butter mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture
5. Place a chunk of the mozzarella on the meat and roll up tight
6. Slice into 1 inch thick pieces
7. Skewer, using two skewers on each end of the meat to keep it from turning. Using two will make it easier to turn and handle on the grill, as the chicken won’t just roll around the skewer. Skewer the bay leaves around the chicken.
8. Grill over med hot coals, covered, and cook about 5 minutes per side. I use charcoal and have a bottle of water handy for any flare-ups.
It is very important to use fresh ingredients in this recipe. Do not use dry parsley, garlic powder etc. Do not leave out the lemon zest…It is the key ingredient!